New Student Task List – Fall 2020 (This Task List will be updated shortly for spring 2021 admits.)

We have compiled the tasks that new students need to complete in the list that follows.  Please read through each task and complete the ones that are specific for you.  We have also included deadlines for specific documents that must be submitted by new students.

First Thing to Know:  As a new student, the University expects you to,


  • Take personal responsibility for your academic and social choices
  • Pay attention to all University requirements and fee deadlines
  • Seek assistance when you need it.
  • Get involved
  • Check your email constantly for important messages sent to you from the university.  Email is the major mode of communication between university departments and its students.  As a new student you should continuously check both your personal email address and your UConn email address (when you get one) to stay on top of things.  Emails are sent to UConn students only.  Students admitted for the fall (August) will get access to their UConn email address in mid-May.  Students admitted for the spring (January) will get access to their UConn email address in late December/early January.  You will not have a UConn email until that time so check your personal email address that you put on your Admissions application for important university messages in the meantime.

Fall 2020– Checklist for Admitted Students



Within 2 weeks of Receiving Your Acceptance Packet – Pay your $300 enrollment deposit. In order to confirm your enrollment, you must pay a $300 enrollment deposit.

    • Visit the Admissions website for details and instructions. You will receive an invitation to sign up for an Online Orientation session which will be sent to your UConn and personal email addresses starting late May if you paid the enrollment deposit. New students cannot sign up for an Orientation session until they pay their deposit and receive the email invitation. 
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15, if you wish to apply for Financial Aid.
  • International Students – Form I-20, SEVIS I-901 and Transfer-In Form.
    • The Form I-20 will enable you to apply for the F-1 visa necessary to study in the United States. The F-1 application should be completed immediately as it is difficult to determine the length of time for processing.  Undergraduate Admissions will issue the Form I-20 after your financial statement with supporting documents and enrollment deposit is received. For more information about obtaining your F-1 visa please visit Undergraduate Admissions.
  • Complete Step 1  of the New Student Tech Training site.  
    • In New student Tech Training, you will reset your NetID password (if you haven’t already done so),  review your financial aid status, apply for on-campus housing, if you are living on campus, and introduces you to the website.
NOTE ABOUT UCONN EMAIL – UConn email addresses for new students entering in Fall 2020 will be created when matriculation occurs in Mid-May.  Until that time students who paid the $300 enrollment deposit will not be able to access their UConn email address.
  • ACCESS UCONN EMAIL BY:  UConn email can be accessed by going to Step 2 of the New Student Tech Training site at,  There are directions in Step 2 that will walk you through setting up your UConn Email.
  • Complete Step 2 and 3 of the New Student Tech Training site.  
    • Step 2 prepares you for class registration, enables you to complete your “Student Financial Agreement” which must be completed or you will not  register for classes, has you complete your FERPA waiver, shows you how to access your UConn email, and introduces you to HuskyCT, a course management tool used in many classes at the university.
    • Complete Step 3 of the New Student Tech Training.  Step 3 contains information on UConn technology, (Hardware, Operating Systems, Mobile Apps, and Software) for UConn students.
  • Upload a Photo and Put Your Preferred Name on your UConn ID Card.
    • For photo guidelines and upload instructions, visit How to Upload Your Photo for Your UConn Husky One Card (PDF)The photo you upload must have been recently taken and only has you the new UConn student in it.
    • We ask that all students upload their government issued ID and head shot photo through by August 1, 2020 to ensure that your One Card is available for the beginning of the Fall semester.  You may continue to upload your government issued ID and head shot photo after August 1, 2020, however there will be a delay in the receipt of your One Card.  The UConn ID may be mailed this year, therefore, the address in the Student Administration System must be up-to-date.
    • Students need their ID card to gain access to several places including their residence hall, university dining halls and the Student Recreation facility when they get on campus.
  • Put your Preferred Name on your ID Card – All UConn ID cards (Husky One Cards) are issued with a student’s preferred name on the back of the card.  You can view and update this name using the ITS Display Name tool at

Log into your Student Administration System to: 

  ** Check and see if there are any holds on your account; for assistance locating this information visit the Student Administration System Help website.
  • Holds can be placed on your Student Administration account by various university offices for a variety of reasons.
  • If you see a hold that says “Bursar Hold” that means you owe the university money.  Sometimes students owe money due to taking ECE credits at their high school.  Other times they owe money because the registered for a summer course and did not follow up with payment. Please contact the appropriate office concerning your hold; in this case, it would be the Bursar’s office.
  • An “Orientation Hold,” “Enrollment Hold” or “Registration Hold” will be put on all new undergraduate student accounts and lifted by their academic advisor when they meet virtually with them in June or July to register for classes.  The Orientation hold will not be removed until that time.
  • Enrollment holds issued by other offices such as the Financial Aid Office, Student Health Services, etc. need to be taken care of before online Orientation or students will not be able to register for classes when the meet virtually with an academic advisor.


ALERT NOTIFICATION SYSTEM:  Check that your personal cell phone number is correct in the Student Administration System so that you will receive updates from the University’s Alert Notification System in case there is an emergency or a weather closing on campus.  Please make sure to read the entire UConn Alert website so you are aware of how UConn’s Alert notification system operates in case of emergencies.


THE CSD:  The Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD) engages in an interactive process with each student and reviews requests for accommodations on an individualized, case-by-case basis. Depending on the nature and functional limitations of a student’s documented disability, they may be eligible for reasonable and appropriate accommodations. To request accommodations, please refer to the CSD website at



  • Review the Course Placement website and, if applicable, complete the Math Placement Exam (MPE)  and the Chemistry Placement Exam (CPE).
    • Both exams are offered through a course management tool on campus known as “HuskyCT.”  When you go into HuskyCT to take the exams make sure to “Enroll” in the exam first or you will not see it come up.
    • Math Placement Exam:   If your major requires that you take the Math Placement Exam before online Orientation and you do not do so, you cannot register for a Math course when you meet virtually with an academic advisor to register for classes.  On the Math Placement webpage you can see a list of majors that have to take the MPE.  If your major is listed there, you need to take the exam.
    • Chemistry Placement Exam:  If your major requires that you take the Chemistry Placement it is highly recommended that you take it to register for General Chemistry or Honors General Chemistry when you meet virtually with an academic advisor to register for classes. On the Chemistry Placement webpage you can see a list of majors that have to take the CPE.  If your major is listed there, you should take the exam.
    • NOTE ABOUT THE MATH AND CHEMISTRY PLACEMENT EXAMS:  Research done by the university shows that student who take the placement exams in both Math and Chemistry are placed in the appropriate courses for their ability.   Answer the questions honestly because you want to be placed in the appropriate course for your ability so you have a successful first semester at the university.
    • The English Guided Placement Survey: To be taken by International students ONLY  For local students, standardized tests, (e.g., SAT or ACT) will be used to place you in the appropriate English course. For international students, we will use a combination of standardized tests (e.g., TOEFL or SAT) and a guided placement survey for Fall 2020 English placement. This guided placement survey will ask about your previous experiences writing in American academic English and to provide brief examples of your writing. Please follow the information below on the English Guided Placement Survey.
      1. To determine which First-Year Writing course you will take, you will need to:
        1. Review the Guided Placement information for First-Year Writing here:
        2. Learn about the courses offered in First-Year Writing. The descriptions for the courses we offer appear on the linked page. As you read about the courses we offer, think about which course might be the best match for you.
        3. After you have learned about the classes you may take, please complete the Guided Placement Survey (opens Wednesday, May 27). You will probably need about ninety (90) minutes to complete the survey. To ensure you find the right course to enroll in, be sure to respond to each of the questions or prompts in the survey.
        4. Complete the Guided Placement Survey before meeting with your advisor. International Students Only:




Starting Late May/Early June: Online Orientation Registration

  • Students who paid the $300 enrollment deposit will receive an invitation to complete online Orientation. The invitation will be sent to the student’s personal email address.  A student cannot sign up for online Orientation until they receive the email.

By May 22 : Online Housing Application

  • Submit Part 1 of the online Housing Application for the fall 2020 semester if you are a student who has been admitted as a resident student and will live in on-campus housing.   A confirmation email is automatically sent to your email account once the application is submitted.  If you do not receive a confirmation, contact the Department of Residential Life.  Visit Residential Life  and Storrs New Student Central for more information.
  • Part 2 of the Housing application is no longer being sent out.

By June 15th: Transfer Student Transcripts

  • Transfer Students: Submit any final, official transcripts with your most recent grades to Transfer Admissions.  This final transcript will verify your final grades and complete your admissions file.

By August 1st: Health History Form

  • Submit your Health History Form, including proof of meningitis immunization.
  • Students who are not compliant with all of the required immunizations by the 10th day of classes will have a hold put on their account which will prevent them from pre-registering for spring classes until the Health History Form is turned in.  Upload your completed health history form through the Student Health Services Student Portal.

Summer 2020:   Complete the Housing online module called “Sharing Spaces” for students living on-campus

  • During Summer 2020 the Department of Residential Life will send new resident students an email link to the “Sharing Spaces” module.  Only when students receive the link can they complete the module.
  • “Sharing Spaces” is an online module that helps new students participate in and learn strategies to develop positive roommate relationships.

By August 28, 2020: Pay Your UConn Fee Bill

  • Pay your UConn Fee Bill
  • Beginning mid-June  a student’s fall 2020 fee bill will be posted online in the Student Administration System. If  a new student does not pay their fee bill, even if it is a partial one  (A partial fee bill is not one for the entire semesterby the August 28th deadline, the student will not be able to either register for classes or change their class schedule until the fee bill is paid. 
  • A “Bursar hold” will be put on a student’s account that cannot be removed until the fee bill is paid.

By AUGUST 27, 2020  –  “AlcoholEdu” Online Module needs to be completed

  • New students, (First-Year and Transfer) will be sent an email in early August with the links for the “AlcoholEdu” module.  “AlcoholEdu” opened on August 10, 2020 for students to complete.  UConn requires ALL incoming students to complete this module before the start of classes.
  • Students will receive another email, 45 days after Part 1 is completed with a link to access Part 2 of  AlcoholEdu which needs to be completed by October 21, 2020.

  • Information on “AlcoholEdu” can be found at,

  • Students who do not complete the “Alcohol Edu Part 1” and “Protect Our Pack” modules before the start of fall classes will have a registration hold placed on their accounts which will prevent them from adding and dropping classes, and registering for Spring semester classes.  Students will not be able to register for spring semester classes until both modules are completed.

Beginning AUGUST 28, 2020 – “Welcome to the Pack” Online Module is available for completion

  • New students, (First-Year and Transfer) were sent an email on August 28th, 2020 with the link to the module “Welcome to the Pack.”
  • Information on “Welcome to the Pack” can be found on the Office for Diversity and Inclusion website at
  • Students who do not complete the “Welcome to the Pack” module will have a registration hold placed on their accounts which will prevent them from adding and dropping classes, and registering for Spring Semester classes.

BY SEPTEMBER 14, 2020 – Complete “Protect Our Pack” Online Module

As part of the university’s commitment to providing a safe and healthy environment for all of our students, staff and faculty the University requires that incoming undergraduate students to complete an interpersonal violence prevention program known as “Protect Our Pack.”

“Protect Our Pack” will be available for completion from August 3 through September 14.  An email will be sent to all new undergraduate students at the end of July that contains the link to the module.  The module takes less than 60 minutes to complete in one sitting.  Students who do not complete “Protect Our Pack” by September 14 will have a registration hold put on their account preventing them from registering for spring semester classes.  Students will not be able to register for spring semester classes until “Protect Our Pack” is completed.

By  SEPTEMBER 15, 2020 –  Health Insurance Waiver  (Date for access to the waiver is June 1, 2020)

  • Submit a health insurance waiver if you are waiving out of the University-sponsored health insurance plan.  The ability to waive out of the university sponsored health insurance plan is September 15, 2020.